Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer in Japan

I recall that when I first stepped foot in Japan, it was summer. Till now, my experience of this season is tied to my memory of summer in Japan.

Summer is when :
- the chirring of the cicadas pervades the air
- children gleefully pedal around in their bicycles along the rice fields
- newly-hung wind chimes punctuate the silence in the houses
- people fan themselves unceasingly with uchiwas (round paper fans)
- young and old get excited with summer matsuri (festivals) and hanabis (fireworks)
- cold noodles are slurped noisily in food joints
- softcream of countless flavours are all the rage




[images from left to right, top to bottom: jchatoff, Masayuki Shimizu, MsYuri, sakura chihaya, .Harry, Cookie Cutter, Cookie Cutter, kamoda, aloaosabine, Cookie Cutter, Cookie Cutter]

6 comments:

  1. love, love all these photos. summer there sounds just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I agree with simplesong's comment, that sounds like a perfect summer! Your powers of description plus the pictures transported me to a different world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cozy warm post! I love all those comfy photos! Thanks for sharing this with us. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello cutie cookie cutter! so lovely to meet you! Thank you for your lovely comment on Hello Sandwich!
    I am so happy to make contact with you!
    Your blog is gorgeous and I love you Japan references!
    Love Love
    Hello Sandwich
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a eorgous selection of photos; I love the fan, second down on the left. Thanks for taking the time to share

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw, me too! I was super young (16) and it was a scorching hot summer in Hiroshima. Your post brought back so many memories...i haven't been back, sadly. Some day perhaps!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, drop me a message. I love to chat!