Tuesday, June 5, 2012

[Melbourne] Zines


I really buy into the idea of zines. Independently published and without any regulations, it is total freedom of expression. Often zines production are driven by passion, not profit. Zines have not taken Singapore by storm (sadly) and I still get blank looks when I mention zines but that hasn’t stopped me from publishing two issues :) 
Imagine my delight when I walked into a little shop filled entirely with zines in Melbourne. Yes, there aren’t other products. Just zines. Upon stepping in and although I have yet to take a look at anything, I decided that I will not walk out empty-handed. It is about supporting fellow zinesters :). The 3 walls of the space was lined with zines. Excitedly, I decided on which side to start feasting my eyes at. It was such a joy seeing zines of all genres! Many of them were true to the “underground” and cheaply produced spirit of zines-- photocopy, staple. Voila!
zines

zines

zines

zines

zines

I felt inspired just being there. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's amazing that there is a whole store dedicated to selling just zines. I haven't seen one like that where I live even though zines seem to have started to grow over the last few years. Seems like its quite big in Melbourne though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ceiling. looks fab. And also enjoy all your post about Melbourne, feel like revisit the city again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah Sticky. One of the degraves subway gems

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, drop me a message. I love to chat!