Wednesday, August 31, 2011

About Cafes - Jimmy Monkey

One of my favourite things to do is to visit new cafes in town. Honestly, I’m not a coffee drinker. I visit these places really to check out the interior aesthetics. Even before I check out the menu, I’m busy gawking around (not at peeps, mind you). A lot of these cafes now put together some slick new tables and chairs or those that have have been deliberately made to look aged. It doesn’t always work and the effect instead screams contrived. I can’t quite pinpoint what it is that makes some tick and conjure the right ambience. I look to the many lovely cafes in Japan and Taipei that I swoon over. Often, the owners are very involved in the construction of the cafe itself and to them, it’s about creating a space for like-minded individuals. It’s not a mere money making venture. Maybe it has to do with the whole spirit behind it?


I visited Jimmy Monkey in the west yesterday and thought it rather cozy. If you’re looking for Aussie style cafes, this might just be what you are looking for. At one point, the smell of vegemite permeated the air. Mmm... Oh, they serve alcohol too :)


Jimmy Monkey

Jimmy Monkey

Jimmy Monkey

9 One-North Gateway

#01-51 One-North Residences

Singapore 138643


2 comments:

  1. Hehe, the toilet on the wall make me laugh. Looks like a great Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice it till much later. I hope it's been flushed. haha.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, drop me a message. I love to chat!